Friday, January 3, 2014

Five for Friday: Favorite Devotionals


Happy Friday, Everyone!  I'm so happy to be linking up with a few of my favorite bloggers (NatashaDarciApril, and Christina) to talk about five fun things this week.


One of my resolutions/goals from this post was to listen and part of that specifically was to listen more to the Lord when I spend time in prayer and Bible study.  This goal led me to start considering some different quiet time methods, so I thought I would list five of my favorite devotional resources for my Friday Five this week.  Some are recent finds and others I have used in the past.

1.  Jesus Calling

Sarah Young's book is by far one of the most powerful tools for reflection and drawing closer to God that I have ever read.  God uses each day's writing to inspire and apply new insights to different situations I am experiencing in my life.  After the devotional thought, she lists related Scriptures and I find these to be very useful for further pondering and reflection.  Another nice feature is the app you can purchase for different devices.  It is nice to know this resource is ready at my fingertips!

2.  She Reads Truth

This online resource offers a variety of devotional plans to subscribe to with the added advantage of community discussion.  The plans are also available through the free YouVersion Bible app, which is such a great way to keep up with the daily posts.  Some plans go through books of the Bible and others are topical studies ranging from women in the Bible to the recent advent study.  I have found these studies to be both convicting and comforting and am always eager to see what the next series will be.  I think the next study begins next week!

3.  First15.org

The Denison Forum on Truth and Culture is hosting this daily yearlong devotional series that emphasizes the importance of spending time with God each and every day.  The first week's focus is describing the different components of what the First15 is all about.  I also enjoy reading Dr. Denison's daily emails that discuss current events through a theological lens.  You can sign up for those emails here.

4.  My Utmost for His Highest

I remember reading this class text by Oswald Chambers when I was in high school and how powerfully it impacted me with each page.  I just saw that there is a website that posts the daily readings.  I have linked it above.  If you are looking for a devotional guide that has stood the test of time, I highly recommend this one.

5.  M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan

And finally, for the very disciplined, a year-long Bible reading plan.  I confess that I have not made it through the entire Bible in a year, though I have tried several times before.  I'm hoping that I can do this at some point, but feel a 3 year plan might be more my speed.  The M'Cheyne plan is a 1 year plan and it divides the texts up over chapters in several different books each day.  I just did a google search for a 3 year Bible reading plan and found several, so I might have to look into this.  I think it is so valuable to spend time in all of Scripture and these yearly plans allow you to read it all.

I hope this list was helpful.  Sometimes my biggest struggle with daily devotional time is figuring out where to start and these different resources have certainly helped me in that area.  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment